Use Apsley Farms’ mulch to protect and enrich your lawn
Spreading mulch on your lawn this Autumn can be a great way to protect and nurture your grass, while also adding organic matter to the soil, improving its health and vitality. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to use mulch to improve your lawn this Autumn
- Use Apsley Farms mulch which is 100% organic matter, peat-free and rich in NPK nutrients.
- Mow your lawn. Before applying the mulch, mow your lawn one last time. This ensures the mulch will make proper contact with the soil.
- Rake the lawn. Use a garden rake or a leaf rake to remove any fallen leaves, sticks, and other debris. This will allow the mulch to make direct contact with the soil and prevent any pests or diseases from harbouring under the mulch.
- Aerate your lawn. If your soil is compacted, consider aerating it before mulching. This will create small holes in the soil, allowing the mulch, nutrients, and water to penetrate more effectively.
- Apply the mulch. Spread a thin layer (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch) of the chosen mulch over your lawn using a shovel or your hands. Ensure that it’s a thin layer otherwise it might smother the grass.
- Water thoroughly. After applying the mulch, water your lawn. This will help the mulch settle and also ensure it begins to decompose and meld with the top layer of soil.
- Avoid over-mulching. Too much mulch can smother your lawn or create an environment that’s conducive to pests and diseases. Always stick to the recommended thickness.
- Replenish as needed. As the mulch breaks down, it enriches the soil with organic matter. Depending on the type of mulch you use, you may need to replenish it annually or every few years.
Benefits of Autumn Mulching:
- Adds essential nutrients and organic matter
- Protects roots from winter’s chill and helps to maintain a more stable soil temperature
- Retains moisture, reducing the need for winter watering
- Suppresses weeds that might try to establish over winter
- Feeds the soil as the mulch breaks down, providing vital nutrients to the grass
Remember, the overall goal of mulching your lawn in the autumn is to provide protection for the grass during the cold winter months, and to enrich the soil to ensure a lush and healthy lawn come springtime.
To order our soil improving mulch from £60 per 730L bag or £50 for 2 or more bags please click here
About Apsley Farms
Sustainability and efficiency is at the heart of everything we do at Apsley Farms. We’ve adopted cutting edge technologies and turned low value crops into renewable energy. We focus on a circular economy by returning the nutrients in our digestate products back to the land as a fertiliser.
Our process of generating green gas and other important by-products ticks three important boxes: it displaces natural gas (fossil fuel) in the gas grid to heat people’s homes; it displaces CO2 made by the fertiliser industry, which is essential in the food industry; and it simultaneously generates natural fertiliser in the process!